The RFU has been working to develop ways to make it easier for students to play for local rugby clubs and has extended the Student Pass pilot scheme into this season 2016-17.
The Student Pass is intended to encourage students to play more rugby more regularly by introducing greater flexibility with the registration of players. This will enable genuine students to play for their home club and the club local to their higher/further education institution by undergoing a simplified and less onerous player registration process.
How Does It Work?
- Under the old system, if you register for another club while away at university, you have to re-register with Beverley RUFC in order to play during holidays or should you return during term time. This is a time consuming process. The Student Pass scheme will mean you can play for both clubs without having to re-register each time you return home or go back to university.
- Assuming you are already registered with Beverley RUFC, you can register as a Loan player with a local rugby club near your university or college.
- You should inform the Loan club that you are registered with Beverley RUFC and will be playing for them whenever you return home either during holidays or term time. The Loan club must complete a registration form in the usual way, ticking the “Loan” box at the top of the form.
- You must provide a copy of your Student ID card to the Loan club.
- Beverley RUFC will need to consent to the registration. This can be by email or letter from us. Just contact Steve Spurgin (e:firstname.lastname@example.org Mob:07534 971442) or ask the Loaning club to do so.
- The term of the loan is until the end of the Season or earlier if agreed. We will provide a date confirming the end of the loan period in the release letter.
- Players are permitted to be loaned to a club no more than two levels below our level. Beverley RUFC are currently playing at Level 7.
- Having reviewed the documentation, if the RFU Registrar in its discretion approves that you should be able to play for both clubs and is eligible for a Student Pass, you shall be registered onto the RFU’s system as a student authorised under the student pass trial.
- Student pass is valid for one season and must be re-applied for each subsequent season.
Full details of the conditions are here.
Full details of the registration process are here.